If you are a dog lover then you often face one common problems in every breed of dogs is allergies. Some common symptoms of dog allergies are itchy red skin, runny eyes, inflamed ears, vomiting, sneezing, asthma, diarrhea, swollen paws and sneezing.
Most of dogs are often affected with some common three type of allergies like environmental, food allergies and fleas. These allergies can be treated with proper care and right medication.
Understating allergies in dogs and their Treatments
What is allergies? Allergies is adverse response by the immune systems to substances misunderstood as potential threats. About 10% of the allergies in dogs are due to food and mostly 20% dogs react to more than two allergens.
Common symptoms of dog’s allergies
- Itchy red skin
- Constant itching
- Inflamed ears
- Swollen paws
- Runny/red eyes
Which Dog breeds most prone to Allergies
- Golden Retriever
- Bichon frise
- Cocker spaniel
- German shepherd
Common type of Allergies and treatments
Environmental : Caused by outdoor or indoor irritant in environment like molds, dust, house mites ,feathers ,weed , pollen , wind etc
- Regularly clean your dog’s indoor air environment
- Avoid over medication your dog
- Bathe your god and take care to clean the paw area
- Provide your dog with high quality drinking water
Flea Allergy :if your dog is allergic to fleas, you will notice your dog became very uncomfortable and scratches all the time it is caused by saliva of the flea
- Comb your dog’s hair regularly
- Bath your dog regularly
- Use a pest repellent
- Oral drug can also be taken in consultation with a vet
- Treat your house and pet bedding and yard to get rid of fleas with insecticides.
Food Allergy: Food allergy is caused by certain type of food and finding the exact allergen can be quite difficult. Your dog might develop allergic reaction to certain food because he -She has been consuming it for a long time period. Sometimes allergic reaction may not occur immediately and sometimes it may take up to two years for any sign to show up. Food allergies. Food allergies are not the same as food intolerances. 8% of skin reaction in dogs are due to food allergies Some common food which is create allergies is grains, beef, dairy products, soy , wheat, chicken, lmb fish,eggs and corns.
- Elimination diet in consultation with your vet for period of at least 12 weeks
- Try to identify the allergen which itself is not easy
- Eliminating the allergen and giving your precious dog a diet that is best for it
- You may to go through the trial and error method before finding a diet that is best for your dog. And it may be raw of commercial
- For the trail, provide them with prescribed diet and water
- During trail period you should keep an eye on the following things of your dog: Appetite, Exercise, Bowel movements, Urination, Itching and Excessive Licking
Prevention of Food Allergies
Experts say a healthy gut can be maintained if the diet has natural rotation and variety in it. Its is recommended that puppies are given probiotics from six month to one year of age.